“We shall endeavour to become a leader in environmentally friendly hotels that shall help a sustainable future.”
Llangoed Hall has made a pledge to become an environmentally sustainable hotel. To do this:
- We will take responsibility for our impact on the environment.
- We shall raise awareness and motivate change in our people and their actions.
- We shall promote environmental best practice.
- We shall improve financial results without compromising on guest satisfaction.
- We will endeavour as always to implement and adhere to measures that help sustain our local environment on a national platform for generations to come.
We know that to become an environmentally friendly hotel, we need to support our guests so together we can reach our goal. We will endeavour to promote Green Tourism and encourage guests to reduce their environmental impact through the following initiatives:
- Reduce, re-use & recycle within our hotel.
- Reduce your carbon footprint - take advantage of our onsite EV charge points.
- See local, buy local & most importantly eat local - support local producers and reduce international transport of goods.
- Power Off! Switch lights off when you go out, close windows and doors when the heating is off.
- Follow the Countryside Code and protect the natural environment.
Want to know your Carbon Footprint? Visit the Carbon Footprint Calculator.
Llangoed Hall Environmental Facts
We have introduced some key initiatives to help reduce our impact on the environment, including:
- We have reduced our carbon footprint by 138 tonnes of CO2 through better purchasing.
- Recycling: our used cooking oil is excellent for producing fat balls for our bird feeder or for Bio-Diesel.
- We have saved more than 20,000 litres of water every year thanks to the installation of waterless urinals.
- Our rainwater capture to top up the duck pond has caught 2,178 litres of water.
- All of our eggs (duck, hen and bantam) are free range and in 2014 alone the girls produced 10,022 eggs!
We have managed to cut energy use by introducing the most up to date technologies, including:
- LED lights both internally & externally.
- Low energy hairdryers.
- Motion sensor taps and lights.
The team at Llangoed makes every effort to run the Hall as efficiently as possible. The kitchen equipment is fitted with standby switches, we always place lids onto our pots to avoid heat loss. We keep doors and windows closed to keep the heat in.
These new technologies, together with new practices across our team, has meant that since July 2012 we have reduced the amount of energy by 31% per customer, equating to nearly 138 tonnes of CO2 per year!
Here in Wales we can sometimes take water for granted, however the Llangoed Hall acknowledges that it is a precious resource and we have therefore taken the following steps to conserve up to 54,000 litres of water every year:
- Introducing waterless urinals in the gents' toilets.
- The use of “hippo” water savers in our cisterns.
- The use of spray and mixer taps, which use on third of the water compared with old conventional taps.
- We capture our rain water and use this to top up the duck pond water, water the plants and irrigate the greenhouse.
From garden to the plate in two minutes
We are committed to using only high quality, sustainable produce where possible, including:
- Sourcing or growing our own food/ingredients within a five mile radius of our property (with the exception of fish).
- We are committed to the welfare of our own animals and others.
- We shop local and support our local environment first and foremost before we shop elsewhere.
- We ask our suppliers to use minimum packaging where possible and to return or reuse packaging if hygienically possible to do so.
- In the winter we can grow 45% of our vegetables, soft fruits and herbs, but during the summer we have 95% sustainability. From the garden to the plate in 2 minutes, preserving flavour and freshness.
- Our tea and coffee is certified by Rain Forest Alliance & Fair Trade Organisations.
Waste and Recycling
We are committed to recycling and reducing the amount of waste we produce. We do this by:
- Encouraging our suppliers to do the same.
- Encouraging our customers to recycle.
- Our fish supplier was using polystyrene boxes for delivering the fish, but now uses cold boxes. Any old polystyrene boxes we now use for growing mushrooms.
- We recycle our cooking oil into fat balls for the birds in winter and also into bio-diesel in the summer.
- We reuse cardboard as insulating material in buildings around the grounds.
- We re-mill guests' unused soaps for staff to use in the staff areas.
- We compost as much as possible and we task plant cutting every year 4,108 plants.
This was our second visit and did not disappoint! Stunning room and location. Staff could not have been more helpful. Stunning food. Will definitely return!!
Nothing is too much trouble for staff at Llangoed hall From the staff who come out in the cold to welcome you and whisk your bags away to the chef who provides amazing menus all with a “ dairy free no problems madam we’ll adapt “ to the gardener Joe who took time to tell us about the crops and the hens and to let us see him put the ducks away for the night! Luxury and friendliness Gorgeous log fir in the drawing room while you choose from the menu, nice touches in the room like fresh fruit and knife and plate to eat them from ; cut glass and beautiful china even for the toothmugs You have to try it! Ardderchog. ( excellent) Diolch in fawr Llangoed.
Fantastic location Fantastic staff Fantastic stay! Room fully equipped, comfortable bed and beautiful bed linen. Dinner and breakfast were both excellent. Staff very attentive and made the whole experience more enjoyable so thank you.
This must be one of the best hotels I have stayed in .. not just because of the facilities but because of the setting, the service, the quality of the food and the art work!!! Not many hotels have original classic art on the walls. This hotel is pet friendly with 2 rooms set aside for dogs which worked out really well for us. The hotel is magnificently furnished but still has a very homely and welcoming atmosphere . Great restaurant with excellent menu both for evening meal and breakfast .. and if you can manage it afternoon tea.The grounds are magnificent with beautiful gardens and lots of walks all around A great base for exploring the Brecon Beacons and close to Hay on Wye. Will definitely be back.